Sunday, August 29, 2010

Peaches, peaches, and more peaches...

Summer time = fresh fruits and vegetables = making jam and canning.

Last year, we bought 50 lbs. of peaches and canned half of them, made freezer jam with the other half. This year we again bought 50 lbs. of peaches but canned them all. That's right, in a matter of 4 hours or less, I cleaned, blanched, peeled, sliced, pitted, and 'jarred' all of the peaches. I followed up that act by adding simple syrup to all jars, sterilizing the lids, and finished preparing all jars for sealing. Sealing the jars is not my favorite part...I left that for Eddie! :)

Finally, with a 97% success rate (one jar didn't seal, so it just went in our fridge and we ate those peaches :) we ended up with

30 quarts of peaches!!

The best part of all of this? A co-worker had given Missi some canning jars and since she doesn't do any canning, she gave them to me! There were almost 50 quart jars and several pint/jelly jars. Yay - means all I needed to buy were lids and some rings! Thanks, Missi!! :)

Next project, making lots and lots of raspberry and strawberry jam!
Oh, if only I had the time...maybe in a few weeks, you know, after Missi's wedding! ;)

No comments: