Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Introducing: Samantha Grace Viscalla

We are so blessed! Ed and I have been trying to grow our family essentially since we were married 7.5 years ago. When traditional methods did not work, we sought out medical help. As we journeyed down that path, we felt strongly that we should also look into adoption. Not knowing the Lord's plan for us, but know that indeed He does have a plan for us, we committed ourselves to doing all that we could do, and relied on our faith that the Lord would make up the difference.

Before we get into the story, first things first...I know you all want to see pictures of this beautiful little girl, so here you go, get your fix! :)

Birth Day
First bottle
Footprints on the hospital nursery wall

Ready to go!
Sleeping in the car
 
Hanging out with Mom
Proud and happy Mom!
Exhausted Dad
So cute...now 2 weeks old!
  
Many times we've gotten our hopes up and many times those hopes have been dashed and ended in heartbreak. Watching others around us who seem to have no problems having children and wondering when it would be our turn...

We had been approved and waiting with one agency but after over a year of being active with them and not seeing anything come of it, a friend directed us to another agency, through which her friend had adopted two children. This agency is located in Utah, well, Ed and I happened to be heading to Utah for General Conference in April so we decided to take our paperwork with us and try to meet with this agency in person while we were there. We drove to the office address listed on their site, but found that the office had moved. I called and left a message with the agency and received a return call within 10 minutes. The case worker that works with adoptive parents was in California at the time, but reassured us that she would contact the agency director and that we'd be able to meet with her and submit our paperwork.

We advised that case worker where we were at, we had stopped off for lunch in Farmington, Utah, we wrapped up the call and she phoned the agency director. Another 5 minutes passed, the case worker called us back and to our surprise, the agency director happened to be grocery shopping around the corner at the other end of the strip mall from where we were parked grabbing a bite to eat! The agency director came right over to us and we were able to talk with her and give her all of our paperwork. The Lord indeed works in mysterious ways!

We were so blessed to be matched with a Birth Mom, pregnant with a little girl. This Birth Mom is an amazing lady, read on and you'll see why...

We had the opportunity to get to know the Birth Mom (not naming her here, since I don't have her permission and as a measure to protect anonymity), as we chatted with her almost on a weekly basis. The funny thing is, many of our conversations were just about what was happening that day. Other times, the conversations were about nothing in particular at all. This was a great opportunity to truly get to know her, hear some things about her life, learn about her likes/dislikes and interests, and share a little bit about ourselves. She even sent us ultrasound/sonogram pictures of the baby with a cute card telling us it was a little girl!

Toward the end of August / early September, I think anxiety levels were high on both sides. On our side, we were so excited to be parents AND the baby was due September 18th (my sister's wedding was scheduled for the 17th); on her side, I can't imagine being pregnant through the heat and humidity of the summer, nor can I imagine the feelings and emotions she must have been going through in her decision to place this beautiful baby girl with me and Ed for adoption.

When all was said and done, the induction was scheduled for September 10th. Ed and I hopped a plane on the 9th to be sure to be there in time and arrived at our hotel at 3:30am the morning of the 10th. The Birth Mom was to be admitted to the hospital at 5:30am to start the induction. Ed and I arrived at 7am and had the very special and incredible opportunity to visit with the Birth Mom in person in the delivery room. We got to know one another better and following the birth, she advised us that the time chatting in person in the delivery room prior to Samantha being born really helped her with the decision to place Samantha with us. It was time to just sit and talk, face to face.

At 11:08am, we witnessed a miracle. Samantha was born, a healthy 9 pounds, 3.9 ounces, and 20 inches long. She was/is beautiful! Ed and I got to stay for the entire birth and were so amazed at the strength of the Birth Mom, and at the absolute miracle that brought this sweet angel into this world. After the umbilical cord was cut, the nurses were busy drying her off to keep her from getting cold. They wrapped her in blankets and I got to hold my little girl for the first time. It was a moment I will never forget!

There are a lot of emotions on all sides with adoption. Ed and I wanted to be sure to appropriately express our gratitude to this Birth Mom for this incredible gift, but also wanted to be sensitive to her feelings. I have no concept of what this Birth Mom must have felt or what thoughts/emotions were running through her during this time. All I know is that I am so grateful to her for the decision she made to allow us to adopt Samantha.

The hospital staff was great! They were aware of the situation and did their best to try to make everyone as comfortable as possible. Samantha was released on Sunday. We took that opportunity to go over to the Birth Mom's house so that her family would have a chance to meet Samantha and to meet us.

The next day, we were scheduled to appear in court. The judge applauded the Birth Mom, stating that in many adoption cases, the Birth Mom simply signs the paper and does not appear in person to relinquish parental rights. In this case, the judge acknowleded the very amiable relationship we have with the Birth Mom and again, expressed his kudos to the Birth Mom for her decision and for her strength.

The rest of the week was a waiting game. With adoption, both the birth state and the adoptive parents' home state have to sign off on the adoption. This process can take anywhere from 5 business days to a month or more, in extreme cases. Again, we were very blessed. My sister's wedding date was September 17th and we were able to fly home on the 16th to be able to attend the wedding/reception the following day.

Told you she's beautiful!
Before we left, we visited the birth family a couple more times. We wanted them to have the closure and comfort they needed that we will love, protect and care for this little girl with everything we are and wanted for them to have some peace in this.

Here I sit, finishing this blog entry 3 days after I started it. Samantha is sleeping soundly on my chest as I type this and I'm still in tears with gratitude for this most precious gift.

People have asked us if Samantha will know that she is adopted. Our answer is a resounding yes! We want her to know that she is loved so much by so many people and that her coming to our home was a decision made out of love by me and Ed, and by her Birth Mother.

So, I'll end this post the way I started...by acknowledging how truly blessed we are!



8 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh Mindee. Everything you said hits so close to home. I'm so happy that your experience was so positive. What an amazing blessing for you all. You are incredible and so deserving of this miracle. I hope we can meet her some day.

Miss Star E said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Mindee. I can't think of anyone more deserving of this blessing and I know that Samantha will be happy and loved. Congratulations, Viscalla family <3

Mommo-Miller said...

What a sweet Blog entry. Thank You for sharing your story and pictures. Be sure to get pictures with Grandma, even though she doesn't like it.

Eryn said...

Oh Mindee,
I loved reading this story. Honestly I just can't imagine how good it must feel--but that's why you get to have all these amazing, indescribably feelings of joy. Is it just crazy that you are holding your daughter and wondering where did the last seven and half years go. Time standing still as you waited and waited and now all of sudden she's here---wow, so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy said...

Mindee and Ed,

I just loved reading about the journey that brought you to Samantha. Brian and I have experienced the same struggles to start a family and are just today at our year mark of being approved as an adoptive home. This story gives me hope. Thank you for sharing your story.

All my love,
Amy Fauska

Kimi said...

Mindee! That is such an amazing story. I'm so glad you have Samantha. She is one lucky girl to have such amazing parents as the two of you.

I sent you a blog invite! I didn't know you had a blog until you posted on FB.

Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing. What a beautiful story. We are so crazy happy for you!

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing all the details! Samantha is blessed to have you and Ed as Mommy & Daddy!