Saturday, March 23, 2013

NATS Vocal Adjudications 2013

Every year, the Puget Sound Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) holds vocal adjudications.  I haven't participated the last two years, so I was excited to be a part of it again this year.  To add to my excitement, one of my voice students entered to sing as well.

Since one of my students was also singing, I had the opportunity to be an adjudicator.  That meant that I got to listen to others sing, provide written feedback, and, along with the other judges, select first and second place winners, and other students to receive an honorable mention.

This was a great experience.  I enjoyed learning new pieces, providing feedback, and rubbing shoulders with other voice teachers.  The best part?  The fact that my student received an Honorable Mention on his first time in the NATS adjudications!

As for me, I was in a tough category.  I got to listen to 4 other students in my category and I must say, I was so impressed with the singer right before me that when I found out she received 1st Place, it neither surprised nor upset me.  She truly deserved it!  I also got the opportunity to sing in the same category as my sister.  It's so much fun to have something we can do together!  She recorded my pieces (though due to technical difficulties, the first piece didn't record).  At any rate, here are two of my four pieces :)  I received an Honorable Mention in my category!




No comments: