"We can't all travel by BUBBLE!" - just one of the fantastic lines from Wicked: A New Musical. I got to see it for the second time on Saturday, September 19th, at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle. Eddie and I saw it the first time back in March (on Friday the 13th), we drove down to Portland and saw it at the Keller Auditorium, went to The Cheesecake Factory afterward, stayed the night, then drove home the following day.
This time, I got to share the Wicked experience with my mom, two of my aunts, and some good friends! We started the evening at The Cheesecake Factory in Seattle with a 55 minute wait for a table. Since we were a party of 9, we told them we're ok splitting the party in two. Apparently, even though they were told this several times, it didn't stick, we were all seated together. That was fun but I think it is the reason for the long wait. Anyway, so after a rushed meal, we walked 3 blocks to the theatre. I love the Paramount Theatre. It's absolutely stunning! We were seated on the main floor in rows V and W, so just underneath the 1st Mezzanine. We had a fantastic view and the set is...WOW! The picture SO does not do the set justice! There's a mechanical dragon over the top (because Oz is located inside the time dragon), a map of Oz is draped as the curtain, and there are tons of cogs and wheels, like the inside of a clock, on the sides and in the back. Couldn't take a better picture...I got in trouble for taking this one! :)
I must admit though, compared to the Portland performance, this one was kind of disappointing. The gal who played Glinda - yes, she was talented, but a bore compared to Portland. Her voice was a bit disappointing as well.
As for Elphaba, it was the same actor, Donna Vivino, as in Portland. This time though, I think she was getting a bit bored with the show because she improvised...a lot. At ont point, I just wanted to tell her to stick to the music and quit changing things!! Nevertheless, she was fun to watch and is very talented.
The rest of the cast was pretty good too ~ many of the same actors as from Portland. The actor who played Mrs. Morrible though - ugh, she was horrible (no pun/rhyme intended). I think she must have blown out her voice or something because it was just painful to listen to her!
I love this story though, no one is what they seem. You learn a lot about perceptions, intentions, and inner beauty! I would definitely see the show again and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it!
This time, I got to share the Wicked experience with my mom, two of my aunts, and some good friends! We started the evening at The Cheesecake Factory in Seattle with a 55 minute wait for a table. Since we were a party of 9, we told them we're ok splitting the party in two. Apparently, even though they were told this several times, it didn't stick, we were all seated together. That was fun but I think it is the reason for the long wait. Anyway, so after a rushed meal, we walked 3 blocks to the theatre. I love the Paramount Theatre. It's absolutely stunning! We were seated on the main floor in rows V and W, so just underneath the 1st Mezzanine. We had a fantastic view and the set is...WOW! The picture SO does not do the set justice! There's a mechanical dragon over the top (because Oz is located inside the time dragon), a map of Oz is draped as the curtain, and there are tons of cogs and wheels, like the inside of a clock, on the sides and in the back. Couldn't take a better picture...I got in trouble for taking this one! :)
I must admit though, compared to the Portland performance, this one was kind of disappointing. The gal who played Glinda - yes, she was talented, but a bore compared to Portland. Her voice was a bit disappointing as well.
As for Elphaba, it was the same actor, Donna Vivino, as in Portland. This time though, I think she was getting a bit bored with the show because she improvised...a lot. At ont point, I just wanted to tell her to stick to the music and quit changing things!! Nevertheless, she was fun to watch and is very talented.
The rest of the cast was pretty good too ~ many of the same actors as from Portland. The actor who played Mrs. Morrible though - ugh, she was horrible (no pun/rhyme intended). I think she must have blown out her voice or something because it was just painful to listen to her!
I love this story though, no one is what they seem. You learn a lot about perceptions, intentions, and inner beauty! I would definitely see the show again and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it!
No comments:
Post a Comment