Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Countdown Is On...

This will be my third year as a "TeePee Mom" at Girls Camp for church. In case you're wondering, yes, we sleep in giant TeePees at the church campsite and "TeePee Mom" just means that I have a group of girls assigned to me for the week that I help look after, answer questions, make sure they're where they need to be when they need to be there, wake them up in the morning, tell them to go to sleep at night, you know, be a "mom" to them at camp. I love Girls Camp. A lot of sweat and tears go into it, but it's always worth it!

Well, the countdown is officially on and Girls Camp is less than a month away. Today after church, we had a practice for the "Girls Camp Choir." These girls were called upon to learn a lot of songs, very quickly, and then perform them all week at camp. Specifically, our "Golden Hour" on Wednesday will use music as the medium to carry the message. Isn't it amazing how music also carries such a spirit with it? Music has a way to soothe the soul, immediately invoke the Spirit, calm our nerves, and teach us things that no spoken word could communicate, but I digress.

So, we had this practice today. These girls are fantastic! I was asked to help out by accompanying on the piano for the practices. We must have sight read through at least 10 songs today! Most of the songs come from Especially For Youth (EFY) sessions of years past and others are arrangements of hymns. Our theme for camp this year is, "It's Time," and specifically on Friday, our theme will be that it's time to prepare for the Temple. The song selection for that day is especially beautiful. It's a piece by Sally DeFord titled, "In That Holy Place." Take a listen...

I love Girls Camp!

1 comment:

Kylie said...

I love Girls camp too!!! I LOVE the song for friday Night!!!
-Kylie