Wednesday, July 29, 2009

hot, Hot, HOT!

Have you ever had those times where something was so amazing, disturbing, puzzling, or otherwise that you did a double take? You had to look twice to truly believe that your eyes were not deceiving you? I had that experience today. I glanced at the thermometer on my back deck, thought, "no, that's not right," and had to look again to make sure I was reading it correctly. I mean, the only time I've seen a thermometer get above 110 F is when it was in a piece of meat, candy, or a hot tub. Sure enough though, the thermometer on my back deck reads 112 F right now. Check it out:





Of course, that's a bit inflated because it's catching some of the reflection off of the house, but according to http://www.weather.com/, it's 106 F here. When did I move to Arizona?


My poor lawn (but check out my zucchini in the upper right hand corner of the picture - so awesome!):


Apparently, we're breaking heat records all over the place and this heat will continue for the next few days. People are lining up to buy a/c units, fans, anything to keep them cool. We even had to change our YW activity tonight because it's so hot. We were planning to do some outdoor cooking (part of Girls Camp certification) and make friendship beads to hand out at camp, but opted for a cooler alternative instead - swimming!

In all of this, I'm most worried about my cat. My loud, skittish, unfriendly, will pee inside my house (and not in the litter box) if I don't constantly watch him, only wants attention on his terms cat that just kinda came with the house when we bought it. Did I mention he's also a medium to long-hair, black cat? Now do you understand why I'm worried? He's the closest to a child that we have and I worry, what can I say?

Now, I don't mind the heat so much during the day. Heck, I work in an air conditioned office, all is well. It's the nighttime that can be rough - so hard to sleep in the heat. Some people might call us wimps; I prefer creative. You see, we're rearranging some of the furniture in our house so the mattress for the guest bed was on end in the hallway. Full credit goes to Eddie for this one, he suggested we lay out the mattress on the living room floor so as to be downwind from the window a/c unit in our kitchen. Ah finally, a good night's rest!

2 comments:

Kylie said...

That is SOOOOOOOOOO smart! I wish we had air conditioning! I have only been getting like 4 hours of sleep a night because of this heat, so I am exhausted!!!

Anonymous said...

I just couldn't believe that heat on Wednesday. Jim pointed out that I'm actually lucky to not be employed right now because having to answer phones for 8 hours in my tiny office may have killed me! I'm glad you were able to find comfort and I hope that this cooler day has helped as well. Deb