Monday, for example, I stopped at the grocery store to grab a few remaining items so I could get home, finish making a salad, and we could get up to some friends' house for dinner. On the way out, I was set up in a right turn only lane to exit the parking lot and head for home. Well, this other guy had the same idea - turn right out of the parking lot. I guess he didn't think I really was going to turn right in this RIGHT TURN ONLY lane because he pulled just alongside me to turn right as well.
So, I'm concentrating on the cars coming from the left to find a gap in afternoon traffic where I can pull out onto the road. I had already looked to my right to make sure there were no pedestrians or bicycles coming on the sidewalk, found my gap in traffic and turned right...CRUNCH!!! Huge dent down the passenger side of my car. Take a look:
Pulling back into the parking lot and exercising all the restraint I had within me to not yell at this guy, I asked him where he thought I was going in that RIGHT TURN ONLY lane. He said he figured out that it was a right turn only lane a little too late, as he was in the process of reversing when I made my turn. Still angry with him, he went on to explain that he was headed home because he and his wife needed to get to childbirth class. Ok, at this point, I'm calming down, trying to appreciate his situation and could do nothing more than smile and ask him about his family (when is she due?, boy or girl?, how many kids?, that kind of thing).
He apologized all over the place and we exchanged insurance information. Having worked in insurance for 8 years, I knew what information I needed and what questions to ask, but I still found it funny when he said, "Boy, you really seem to know what you're doing." Again, couldn't be mad at the guy any longer considering my history with cars. At one point, I was the reason my parents' insurance company dropped them. I guess insurance companies don't like it when teenage drivers total 2 cars in a matter of 5 months, go figure. Anyway, that was several years ago but again, trying to appreciate his situation, I shook his hand and we parted.
I was thinking about this again today. Maybe these times when things just 'happen' are meant to slow us down, if only for a moment. Maybe these things are intended to help us realize that with how crazy and busy life can be, we need to take time to prioritize the activities in our lives and focus on what is really important. Reminds me of a conference talk from Elder Oaks titled, "Good, Better, Best," from which the following quote is taken:
"Most of us have more things expected of us than we can possibly do. [...] We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."
Wonder what tomorrow will bring...
1 comment:
Your blog is already making a difference in my life.
Bummer about your car, though...
Post a Comment