I was asked to substitute for Seminary for 6 days - I forgot how early in the morning Seminary is!! I really admire these high school students who get up at or around 5AM every day to get to Seminary at 6AM, then it's off to school all day, then sports/music/drama/jobs after school, only to come home to a couple hours of homework every night, go to bed and get up and do it all over again the next day. Wow!
Right now, I'm teaching the high school seniors. On a good day, fourteen of the eighteen show up for class. We usually start with about 4 students, but the rest tend to trickle in by about 6:15AM. Some are really attentive and involved, others come in and promptly put their heads down on the table. Sometimes it feels like we've had a good discussion, other times it feels like I've spent the time talking to myself. But you know, whatever kind of day it is, however many show up at whatever time and for whatever reasons, I'm so impressed with them!
I can also honestly say that I do not envy the Seminary teachers' calling! After three days last week - I was exhausted! I get up a bit before 5AM, off to Seminary, come home and eat breakfast and log in for work, then when I'm done with work for the day, I spend about 2 hours studying for the lesson the next day! I do love to teach though and most of all, I've loved the opportunity to really study the scriptures. This year in Seminary they are studying the Book of Mormon and I've had the opportunity to teach Jacob 2-7 so far (we'll end up at Mosiah by the time I hand things back to their teacher).
The past couple of days we've been studying Jacob 5 - The Allegory of the Olive Tree. This is truly the best understanding I've had of that chapter. Quite honestly, when I read through the Book of Mormon, every time I've approached Jacob 5 I've just kind of groaned and made my way through the 77 verses without really understanding the beauty of the parable. We learn in Jacob 4 that the gospel is very simple and plain to those who truly seek to understand it. There are some who would complicate the gospel or think it more difficult than it really is and to them, it is complex and difficult to understand. Over the past few days though as I've studied this parable, I not only understand it better, but have developed a testimony of the Lord's promise that as we study the gospel, the Spirit will teach us the truths of the gospel, help us understand the scriptures, and help us see real application of those principles in our lives.
It's been fun, challenging, but fun. I am looking forward to sleeping in until 7AM on Thursday though... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment